Saturday 9 August 2014

Doctors Strike: NMA President resigns, then withdraws resignation letter


The President of the Nigerian Medical Association, NMA, Kayode Obembe, on Friday resigned and then rescinded his resignation following controversies over calling off the ongoing doctors’ strike. Mr. Obembe said the NMA’s insistence on continuing the doctors’ strike led to his resignation on Friday morning.
 He said he could not continue with “the deception that the strike continues.” In a statement made available to reporters by the NMA secretariat, Mr. Obembe said: “I want to make it categorically clear that I stand by every letter of the document I signed THAT THE STRIKE WAS SUSPENDED. And since upon my integrity and honour, I cannot continue to drive the doctrine that ‘strike continues’, I hereby tender my letter of resignation as NMA president.” However, a few hours later, the NMA via its twitter handle said its president had rescinded his decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment